An imbalanced gut flora can cause IBS, chronic infections like urinary tract infections, yeast infections, chronic fatigue, inflammatory problems like asthma , eczema, seasonal allergies, skin problems like acne / hives, weight gain, and sugar cravings.
It is very important to nourish our gut flora.
Our large intestine comprises of over 500 species and 3 lbs of bacteria. They are called the human gut microbiome and they keep our immune system, our nervous system and our endocrine system healthy and strong.
So here are some tips to balance the flora in our gut:
1. Only take antibiotics and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory like Aspirin or Advil when absolutely necessary.
2. Cut down processed food. Replace with 6-8 servings of fruits and vegetables and fibers.
3. Cut out all your refined carbohydrates, like white foods (white bread, rice, pasta, flour, sugar).
4. Eat more fermented foods, like sauerkraut, kombucha, kimchi, pickles, yogurt, miso. Check out Body Ecology Kefir Starter and make your own coconut kefir.
5. Slow down, enjoy and chew your food.
Happy Nurturing your Inner garden!
Dr. Onna Lo