A good bowel movement is key to good detox. It allows us to to eliminate all the toxins from our body, and it also gets rid of unwanted foods and fibers from our system, so it doesn’t sit fermenting in our large intestine, causing bloating and gas and discomfort.
Here are a few Elimination tips:
1. Hydration – drink at least 8-10 glasses of water a day, and more if you exercise and sweat.
2. Eat at least 50 grams of fiber – including soluble and insoluble fibers. That’s about 6-8 servings of vegetables and fruits a day. Or simply add 2 tablespoons of flaxseed to your foods or shakes daily.
3. Movement – 10-15 minutes a day of walking, or any movement that creates more motion in your bowels.
4. Squatting position – simulate a squatting position by using a stool in front of the toilet, or get a squatty potty (www.squattypotty.com). This will encourage you to eliminate in the most optimal position.
5. Manage your Stress – when you turn off your sympathetic nervous system (your fight or flight response), your body will naturally send signals to relax your bowels, and allow easy passage. So, deep breath, meditate, make time to relax.
6. Consider supplement with a good quality daily probiotic of least 25 million CFUs with Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium. Or take 400mg of Magnesium citrate, which helps relax your smooth muscle and turns on your parasympathetic nervous system.
Dr. Onna Lo