Welcome to Day 10 of the 14 Day Detox!
It is important to understand stress and its impact on your health. Stress is a responsive function of your body and designed to protect, not harm. However, most Americans have a lifestyle that is fast-paced and subjects them to a constantly active stress response. The way to better understand this function is what is known as “fight or flight.” When your body senses a threat, it releases various chemicals into your blood stream to promote survival. Results of these chemical releases may be increased strength, heightened or “slow-motion” visual awareness, etc. In this example, the stress response is natural and normal for survival. However, if you are constantly exposed to the release of these chemicals, they become harmful to you by taxing your body’s processes. This can lead to unhealthy lifestyle choices such as:
- Overconsumption of caffeine
- Cravings for sugar and high carbohydrate foods
- Excess alcohol consumption
- Poor sleep habits
- Skipping meals
- Reduction in healthy social interaction
- Decrease in physical activity leading to a sedentary lifestyle
The good news is that you are taking a powerful step against an unhealthy stress cycle. Your time, effort, and financial investment in the 14 Day Detox Program will help you break this cycle.
SPICY SHRIMP AND BUTTERNUT SQUASH “RICE” WITH TOMATOES
Recipe can be found on againstallgrain.com
- 10 medium shrimp, defrosted, deveined and peeled
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, spiralized (blade C)
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- Place the butternut squash noodles into a food processor and pulse until made into rice-like bits.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add in the olive oil.
- Add in the garlic, red pepper flakes and onions.
- Cook for 1 minute and then add in the red peppers.
- Cook for 2 more minutes and add in the can of tomatoes andbutternut squash rice; season with salt, pepper, chili powder and smoked paprika.
- Let the rice cook until all of the juices from the tomatoes absorb.
- Add in the chicken broth, stir, and add in the shrimp. Let the shrimp cook for 2 minutes, flip over and let cook another 2 minutes. Give the rice a stir and taste.
- If the butternut squash has softened and reached a rice consistency, remove from heat. If not, stir and let cook for 3 more minutes.
- Once done, stir in the chopped parsley and serve!
Prep Time: 20 min. Cook Time: 15 min. Total Time: 35 min.